Every home is unique, and every homeowner has different tastes. That’s why there’s no “one size fits all” solution to making your house feel new and improved. That said, I’ve noticed that most people have similar issues in their homes—and similar solutions for how to fix them. Here are ten simple ways to transform your space from drab to fab:
Paint your front door
Painting your front door is one of the easiest ways to change the look of your home. You can choose from a wide range of colors and finishes, so no matter what style you have in mind, there will be a color to match!
Another great thing about painting your front door is that it’s very easy to do and doesn’t require any heavy lifting—just some paint (or primer) and brushes or rollers if you want to go all out. If it’s something that appeals to you but seems too overwhelming at first, start small by painting only half the door—that way it’ll still look different without making too big an impact on the overall appearance of your house.
Build a fire pit
The first thing you’ll need to do before building the fire pit is choose its location. Make sure it’s somewhere that isn’t too close to your home; a safe distance is at least five feet away from any part of the house and any trees or bushes in the immediate vicinity. Also make sure there are no electrical lines anywhere near where you plan on placing your new fire pit that is fire pit Australian made.
Next, prepare the ground by digging out an area that’s large enough for your desired size; with careful planning, this can be done using only hand tools such as shovels and rakes (a post-hole digger may be helpful). Now backfill around this dug-out area with compacted gravel or sand for drainage purposes so water doesn’t collect around it when it rains. For added protection against water damage after rainy periods, line this bottom layer with landscape cloth fabric or heavy plastic sheeting before adding topsoil to finish off filling in.
The laundry sink is the perfect marriage of convenience and organization. It’s more convenient because it’s easier to wash clothes when you have a dedicated space, and it’s more organized because it keeps dirty clothes out of sight while keeping your laundry room tidy. And that’s not all—it can be installed anywhere in your home, including bathrooms and bedrooms!
The best part? A laundry sink costs less than $100, so you won’t have to break the bank for this small but impactful change.
TV soundbar installation
When you’re watching TV, the sound quality is probably not what it could be. There are a few ways to improve your experience.
TV sound bar installation to improve the sound of your TV. Soundbars come in all different sizes and styles, so you can pick one that looks good with your décor and fits easily into your entertainment center. They usually have Bluetooth connectivity as well, so they can wirelessly stream music from any device that has Bluetooth capability.
- A wireless surround sound system will also improve the overall audio quality of your home theater setup—and this type of system is easy to set up! You can choose between traditional speaker setups or wireless speakers systems like Sonos Play:1s or Playbar/Playbase speakers; both options offer excellent sound quality at reasonable prices (starting at $199). If you need help picking out components for a surround sound system, check out our guide on How To Build A Home Theater System For Under $500!
Add a bold wallpaper
Go bold with wallpaper.
Wallpaper is a great way to change the look of a room in subtle, but powerful ways. Choose a wallpaper that is bold, but not too loud by choosing a color that fits with your room’s color scheme and makes sure it matches the other details in the room—that means no bright orange on top of an all-white living room! Wallpaper can be used to create a feature wall or can be used strategically (i.e., behind furniture) for depth and dimension within your space.
Install Outdoor BBQ
Installing an outdoor BBQ is a great way to bring friends and family together.
If you are ready to install your outdoor BBQ, here are some tips:
- Consider the location of your grill before buying one. This will ensure that it gets enough sunlight during the day but isn’t too close to trees or buildings. You’ll also want to make sure it doesn’t block any other doors or windows on your property.
- Think about the size of your grill. Do you have enough room for a large one? Or would a smaller one be better suited for the space?
- Consider style as well as function when choosing an outdoor BBQ. How does it look in terms of color and design? Is this important to you?
Install dimmer switches
Installing a dimmer switch is a simple way to make your home more energy efficient and pleasant. If you’re looking to do this, here are some things to consider:
- What kind of lights will I be using? Dimmer switches can be used with most lamps and light fixtures, but they won’t work with fluorescent bulbs or halogen bulbs (which require far more power than incandescent bulbs). If you have any doubt about what type of light you’ll be using on the new circuit you’re installing, consult an electrician before purchasing dimmer switches.
- How many circuits will the switch control? You’ll need one switch per circuit to control that circuit’s lights from the same wall plate. For example, if there are six lamps in your living room area and all six need their own dimmer switches, that room will require six wall plates—one for each lamp/light fixture combo unit.
Put up shelves
When you’re trying to decide how to make the most of your space, think about what you use. Do you have a lot of books or maybe plenty of kitchen appliances? Do you have any decorative items that would look great on display?
Put up some shelves in your bathroom or bedroom window; they won’t take up much room but they can add extra storage. If there aren’t enough outlets in your house, install a few more so that you can plug in all of those electric devices and appliances!
Make sure that all shelving units are secure and strong enough to hold heavy objects like books or speakers. You should also make sure that anything displayed is clean and dust-free because dust can ruin furniture over time (especially if it gets behind things). Use comfy chairs instead when possible; they may be a little harder than sitting on hardwood floors but at least there won’t be any worry about damaging anything important under them!
Get rid of clutter
One of the easiest ways to bring a sense of calm into your home is to get rid of clutter. Clutter can be anything from clothes piled up in the corner or so many shoes that you need a second closet just for them. It’s often spotted by us as messes, but we don’t realize how much they are affecting our mental state while we live with it day after day.
When you think about it, clutter has all these negative impacts:
- It makes it harder to find things when you need them (e.g., your keys)
- It takes away space where other things could go instead (like extra bookshelves)
- And it stresses us out! We feel overwhelmed by all this stuff around us and can easily get stressed out trying to keep up with everything
Keep surfaces clear
The next time you find yourself with a surface or counter full of clutter, try to remember why it’s there. For example:
- You need to see what’s on the surface so that you can use it. If you can’t see it, then why is it there?
- You need to be able to find things when you need them. If they’re buried under other items, they’re not accessible when needed—so where should they go instead?
- The space is being used effectively if all the items have a home and aren’t just clustered together in an unorganized mess. Keeping surfaces clear will help keep your home organized and clean.
Use rugs to create cozy corners and define spaces
Rugs can be used to define spaces and add texture to your home. They’re also a great way to add color and style, whether you’re defining a particular area or taking advantage of the versatility they offer by having them all over your house.
- Create cozy corners in your lounge room with rugs that are on the smaller side, like this one from @rugs_and_things. A rug next to the couch will help define a seating area without feeling too cluttered.
- Use larger rugs to create defined areas like dining rooms or kitchens by using contrasting colors (like this round rug from @urbancollectiveau). This makes it easy for guests to find their seats without having to look around for them.
- Take advantage of the warmth that comes from woolen rugs in colder months—or even year-round!—by putting them in bedrooms (like this sheepskin shaggy rug from @thestylefiles) where they’ll make guests feel right at home during movie night sessions with friends or family members over winter break.
Making small changes can give you a big impact on a new home without the expense
When you’re preparing to sell or buy a home, your biggest worry is probably how the market will affect your transaction. After all, no matter how much you love your house or apartment, it’s not worth close to what you paid for it if everyone else does too. But what about making small changes that can help make your house more valuable?
Small changes that make a big impact at home
Let’s face it: moving is expensive. You can easily spend hundreds (or even thousands!) on new furniture, appliances, and fixtures and still find yourself with an empty shell of what might have been—but don’t despair! Small changes here and there throughout the house are often all that is needed to create a feeling of newness without having spent an unreasonable amount of money on anything other than paint!
Making small changes can give you a big impact on a new home without the expense. You don’t have to spend thousands on renovations or buy a whole new wardrobe when all you need is some good old-fashioned DIY skills. Next time you feel like your home needs a little pick me up, try one of these ideas!